![]() |
| you don't say? (source) |
I think it's appropriate to disclose that as I start to write this post, I'm listening to Britney's "Work B*tch."
THIS THE YEAR, PEOPLE. That I make some changes in my life.
Everyone says that. It's a cliche. But it makes sense. New year, new start. The slate is wiped clean and you have 365 days to make the year the greatest ever, or you know, just business as usual.
A few months ago, in a moment of introspection (I literally had to google that word to make sure I was using it correctly, so low my writing skills have fallen) I made a list of all things that I wanted to do and wanted to change. 2013 was wonderful in so many ways (I got a ball and chain!) and challenging in others (I moved to a new state!), but as 2014 begins and I enter what will be my 27th year, I'm very much aware that I do not want to spend the rest of my 20's feeling that I am less than what I could be.
I used to scoff at bloggers that had goals at every week/month/year, thinking that some of the things they considered goals were insignificant. But that's unfair, because while I was sitting behind the screen being my usual sarcastic self (I think they call them trolls on the internets), they actually were striving to be better people, whatever that meant to them. I wasn't getting anywhere. Or at least it felt that way. So, here are my goals for 2014. Big or small.
- Complete Whole30 in the Spring or early Summer
- Craft more often (I got a calligraphy set and watercolor set for Christmas!)
- Try my hand at making jewelry
- Refinish my dining table
- Read at least 12 books this year
- Go skydiving
- Print/frame wedding photos
- Complete the "contentment challenge" without the religious overtones
- Similarly, buy with intention...no more "but it's on sale!" crap. Seriously.
- Complete at least 5 running events, one being a 10k (signed up for a 5k on February 15!)
- Pass the 7 and 66 (*whines*) in the first quarter
- Pay off my car (!)
- Lose 25 lbs (I have a lot to say on this topic, but will probably wait to discuss because it's been an ongoing issue for me over the past few years)
- Visit California (dad), Colorado (in-laws and a new niece due in April!)
- Visit Asheville more often
- Plan our European trip for 2015!
- Prep for the 2014 holidays better than I did in 2013 (I know...didn't we just get over this? Why am I thinking about it now?)
For January, my goals/tasks are:
- Get new curtains/rod for our laundry area. One big flaw about our apartment is that our laundry closet doors can't close because our washer and dryer set are bigger than the closet itself. Basically, geniuses designed and built our complex. We had to remove the doors, and it's been kind of an eyesore to see our laundry area so exposed. I think it would be fun to get some colorful curtains to cover that area and look somewhat like it was supposed to be that way (but not really, obviously).
- Seriously restart with the Series 7 prep. I really need and want to pass the test and be able to move on from it. Options, you will be the death of me.
- Visit North Carolina over MLK weekend and catch up with my family and friends.
- Lose 5 pounds by the end of the month.
Obviously while few people read this (I don't think my mom even visits anymore, ha!) writing everything down and having a place to sort my thoughts will make me more accountable. For my own sake I will be revisiting what my goals are, checking them off if accomplished or figuring out a new game plan if not. Which brings me to another goal- blog more! I used to blog a lot and this past year it all fell to the wayside, which is sad because it's a fun, slightly mindless way to use some mental energy.
Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment