Pages

6.03.2013

a dream I do not want to come true … anytime soon

I have friends that are very into their dreams. They wake up from a night of slumber and vividly remember their dreams and tell stories about how crazy the dream was, or they go a step further and delve into the meanings of all the symbols or signs (symbols and signs are pretty much one in the same, no?).

I am pretty much the opposite. Once my head hits the pillow, I am often dead to the world and while I’m sure I dream (REM cycle, ya’ll), I don’t actively remember them.

Unless they’re just freaking insane.

Example.

The other night, I dreamed I was pregnant.

Even more than that, I was pregnant AND happy about it. Two things I never thought would be possible.

(Let me take a second here to clarify that someday the idea of creating offspring may seem appealing, but it ain’t here and it definitely ain’t now. Kids are great! Especially when they’re not mine.)

Whenever I envision myself with child, I envision myself as a TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS. Robert was right. I envision myself complaining, whining, and hating the process that has taken over my body that I pretty much have little control of, that is all topped off by the fact that sushi while pregnant is frowned upon. In general I am not a happy-go-lucky person. I have trouble believing it would make me the opposite.

In this dream though, I was thrilled. I was happy and pregnant and I looked like one of those envious women who don’t look pregnant at all, save for a bump. (I also envision that in reality I will blow up like the girl who turned into a blueberry from Willy Wonka). I was running all over town making other women barf with my happiness.

When I woke from this bizarre dream, I started Googling the true (quote unquote) meaning of pregnancy in dreams. Some were frighteningly accurate.

According to DreamMoods.com--

“To dream that you are pregnant symbolizes an aspect of yourself or some aspect of your personal life that is growing and developing. You may not be ready to talk about it or act on it. Being pregnant in your dream may also represent the birth of a new idea, direction, project or goal. Alternatively, if you are trying to get pregnant, then the dream may be a wish fulfillment. If you are not trying to get pregnant, but dream that you are, then it symbolizes fear of new responsibilities.”

Or the Huffington Post (not sure how reliable this is, but I like it)

"At its core, this dream is about creativity…Women literally create new life out of their bodies. If you dream of being pregnant, you are likely craving time to be creative, or 'dreaming up' a new and exciting creative project that will come into existence down the line. This could be as small as a home-based renovation project or a large-scale artistic work."

"Pregnancy dreams are often multi-layered and speak about something inside -- represented by the fetus -- that has not yet been acknowledged or presented to the world…find that people who have disowned goals and desires often dream of pregnancies. For example, someone who might have wanted to act, but chose the safe path of being a lawyer, may be plagued with pregnancy dreams until he or she takes steps to at least connect with that earlier passion."

Humor aside, I found the meanings very interesting because ironically enough the meanings above deal with topics that I have given a lot of thought over the past few years but have struggled with how to go about it or change it. I fear that I take myself too seriously and can’t take risks, and I often fail to see that while things can be hard, it doesn’t mean it’ll always be that way or that things can’t be fixed.

Or, I don’t know, maybe it just means I need to get creative and make new pillow cases for my the throw pillows on my couch.

No comments: